Got smelly diapers, but you are afraid to strip them using the bleach method? Don’t worry I feel your pain! Having spent hundreds of dollars on cloth diapers, I am sometimes afraid to strip mine, too. Bleach can be so harsh and should only be used in bad cases of odor, staining, and build up.
Here is a better and less invasive way to sanitize your diapers! I like to sanitize mine every season-so about every 3 months or so.
How do I sanitize my diapers safely with peace of mind?
I use baking soda and vinegar!
- Do a cold rinse.
- Use your regular amount of detergent.
- Add 1/2 cup baking soda and a Downy ball filled to the top with distilled white vinegar. Start your washer’s hot cycle.
- After the diapers have agitated, but before the hot water has drained, stop the cycle (this can be done on some washers by leaving the lid up).
- Let the diapers soak overnight.
- Close the lid in the morning to complete the cycle.
That is all, folks!